Treatments for Acne & Acne Scarring:
An Acne skin type can be that of clogged, blocked pores, black heads, white heads, excess oil, pimples and pustules or a combination of these things. Acne causes can be hormones, hereditary, stress related and medications can have an impact too. Environmental conditions and lifestyle or dietary choices can contribute to the condition and management of acne as well.
Acne is highly treatable and manageable with our professional treatments and homecare regimes and we also have a number of skin treatments that can tackle acne scarring such as pitted skin or post inflammatory scarring.
Acne scarring occurs in the dermis, which is the area of skin immediately below the surface that acts somewhat like a cushion. When people suffer with acne, the dermis
becomes inflamed as the body natural healing process kicks in and attempts to repair the wound created when scaly skin, pimples or blackheads are burst or otherwise removed.
In more severe acne, the body can effectively put "too much effort" into dealing with the wound, meaning that there is an excess of collagen and fiber built up. This collagen may stay in place permanently, creating the scarring. This scarring looks like a pit in the skin, sometimes known as ice pick scarring.
There are a wide range of acne treatments, all work towards the same goal of removing the external layers of the scar tissue cells, leaving the scar either heavily faded or completely removed.
The main treatments are:
- Skin peels and chemical peels using materials designed to force the body to shed the surface cells.
- Microdermabrasion uses tiny crystals to physically remove the cells as well as unclogging pores, this treatment is particularly good for treating acne itself as well as the scars.
- Laser treatment is specially targeted so that it won't cause damage to ordinary, healthy skin cells but kills the bacteria under the skin.
- Derma rolling is great for acne and scarring as it stimulates the natural healing process speeding up the elastin, collagen and fiber, which is the makeup of our skin.
- RF Micro needling using a combination or needles and a RF current in one to really stimulate and get skin cell turn over, at the same time tightening the skin, for the more mature skin.
Which treatment is best will depend on the extent of the scarring, the desired results, and the skin type of the patient. For this reason, a consultation and full skin assessment is offered with trained and experienced skin experts to help the patient decide. In some cases, combining multiple treatments may have the best effect.
How will I feel during treatment?
There may be some very mild discomfort but anaesthetic cream can be used to treat this if necessary.
Is this the right treatment for me?
Laser therapy and microdermabrasion are effective for virtually everybody. If there are any issues with your suitability for any other treatment, your skin specialist will discuss these with you.
What happens afterwards?
Your after care package is specially put together to provide everything you need to look after your newly treated skin. Use it to ensure that you get the best results after your treatment. Follow up treatments may be required dependant on results.